// Living My Script Dream //

7.12.2006

Don't Find The Time...MAKE The Time!

I was searching out some new blogs today and ran across "Borderline Inappropriate" by Scribe LA. Today's post there included an interesting excerpt from Richard Linklater (Dazed & Confused) in an interview with the WGAw. The point that hit me was...

WGAw: When and where do you do your writing?
Linklater: I sit down and just do it. When I get in writing mode I just sit down for three to five hours every day. Sometimes I'll get on a roll and write all day or night, [but generally] I take a real craftsman-like approach. I don't wait around to be inspired. I just sit down and work. I've found it easier and less emotionally volatile to just sit down and work.

That is some great advice. I'm totally that same way. I never seem to struggle with writer's block, and every time I force myself to sit down and write, it's usually effective. Problem is...I don't force myself enough. Being a 40-hour a week day jobber, a rest of the time active Daddy, and now a why am I wasting time on this blog Blogger, really seems to add up and not leave enough time on top for pumping out the first-class scripts!

I read somewhere that a newbie scriptwriter should be kicking out 3-4 scripts a year. That eases the souls of the Joe Hollywood Producer, who is never sure with a new comodity if they will have the discipline/bandwidth to stay on a schedule and meet deadlines. I think the time has come for me to make some scheduling changes and start "making" the time to work on my projects.

1 Comments:

  • Yay... I love "The Goonies," too (and it was shot in the Pacific NW - Astoria area - though I'm sure you know that!). Thanks for the link and Good Luck with everything. I'm looking forward to seeing what's to come of this screenwriting adventure of yours (and mine).
    Cheers.
    Scribe

    By Blogger Scribe LA, at 10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home