// Living My Script Dream //

7.04.2006

Why I Can Chase My Dream; The Sacrifice of Others

I have a confession to make. I'm a byproduct of a generation that watched too much TV, played too many video games, and didn't pay enough attention in Social Studies class. I don't know a lot about History, and I know I need to rectify that, but I also know that I love the United States of America. And I know that a LOT of men and women sacrificed things beyond my comprehension to establish it and continue to make it great.

I was reminded of all that today from a daily newsletter I receive from (believe it or not) FootballGuys.com. They reminded me about the Declaration of Independence and the guts and sacrifice it took for those men to stand up to the King of England and create a new world for themselves. The last section really sums it up. Put yourself in their shoes in 1776, and ponder whether you'd have the courage to say these words...

"We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

The saying goes "those that forget the past are often doomed to repeat it." In our day of modern luxuries and special interests and rights for everyone, let us not forget where we came from and upon which values and beliefs we have lived a blessed existence for over 200 years!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home