// Living My Script Dream //

7.02.2006

The First Step is the Hardest One

Three years ago I took a step. The first step on what's turning out to be a longer and longer journey. It began innocently enough, and I wake up every day wondering just how far it will go.

You see, three years ago I heard the story of Mike Rich, a local radio guy who spent his nights writing screenplays and was lucky enough (read: talented enough) to land a fat Hollywood contract. Maybe you've heard of his work...Finding Forrester and The Rookie?

So yea, three years ago I was inspired. But you have to understand...I'm a bit of an entrepreneur at heart. I've had a number of side businesses with varying degrees of success/failure...mostly failure but we'll get into that later. So I'm always looking for a way to get out of the 9-5 rat race and turn a passion into a career.

So script writing, huh? A way to use my love of words and story telling that required no overhead (except a laptop) and had unlimited income potential if I had what it takes to make Hollywood sign on the dotted line. Dang, this is better than Amway! I'm in. But I had no idea where to start, so I did what we all do when we need to learn something...I hit the internet!

And three years ago it was, with the help of a handful of websites, I learned enough of what it took to write and format a screenplay to start the first draft of my first script (Inside). And oh what a ride it's been since then! But we'll talk more about that later.

Until then, is there a first step waiting for you somewhere? Maybe towards a new career, a new hobby, a new love, some time off? Be bold and brave enough to take it. You might just like where it leads you...even if it's three years from now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home