// Living My Script Dream //

7.06.2006

I Don't Think My Blood Wants To Go In There.

So I'm sitting in a Kaiser Medical Center waiting room at 7:30am this morning, and I'm fairly certain I'm the only person there that's thrilled to be getting blood drawn. (Actually, I'm the only one there under 3/4 of a century old, so I'm thrilled for a number of reasons!)

These wonderful moments spent waiting for Lab Technician, Latoya, are, for lack of better words, the validation for me for the two months and six days worth of hard work I've subjected my body to lately.

I am 35 coming up on 36 fast. And I've yet to get my X-Generation rear in gear and buy some much needed life insurance to protect my family. I decided months ago it was necessary (around the same time I had to take a flight to Nashville and started wondering what would happen if something crazy happened to me) so I made some preliminary calls and found out I could save roughly $5-$7 a month by losing a few much needed pounds and making sure my cholesterol and all that was in line.

In late March I had the initial physical/blood test done and found out the obvious, that I was a "bit" outside the line! Kinda like Star Jones used to be a "bit" overweight! So I dedicated the next two months to working hard, eating right, and getting myself in the shape needed to obtain the "Ultra Super Preferred Rate."

The Result: as of this morning I have lost 22.5 pounds and my cholesterol and such are all within the bounds of the fit and famous!

If you haven't seen it yet, I suggest a rent of Morgan Spurlock's wonderful journey into unhealthy eating, Super Size Me. Although a bit of an extreme example, it really shows how our culture is fixated on over eating and improper nutritional education, and the toll that eating large portions of crap will take on your body.

BTW...funny moment of the morning was when dear Lab Tech Latoya poked me with the needle and we watched my blood travel up the tube only to stop cold before entering the vile. I looked at her and said, "I don't think my blood wants to go in there" to which she replied "I'll get 'er there."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home