// Living My Script Dream //

10.26.2006

The Final Version?

Yes, yes, yes. I'm still alive! My hiatus has no good excuse, and "script sell" detox is going well.

I've dedicated myself to reading more scripts now-a-days, and spent some time just this afternoon reading a draft of "Chronicles of Narnia."

I noted a handful of sections in the draft I downloaded from Daily Script that differed from the final movie. One scene in particular where Lucy shares tea with Mr. Tumnus and he eventually reveals he is trying to kidnap her. On the one hand I felt the movie did well to take the "kidnap" reference out because it immediately shifts the relationship of Lucy and Tumnus to a place I don't think it could recover as well from. But on the other hand the draft scene did a better job of concisely relating the danger that Lucy was in from the White Witch.

Discovering a couple of these better "draft" scenes solidified in my mind the quote from William Goldman where he says the "the single most important fact, perhaps, of the entire movie industry" is that 'nobody knows anything.'

What I know is that I'm dedicating what little spare time I have for the next little while to reading script after script, and I hope through a bit of osmosis that my own ability to judge what scenes should be left in or out will sharpen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home