// Living My Script Dream //

8.14.2006

Forgive Me

Forgive me for the long weekend. It was my birthday, and apparently the added year of wisdom is being offset by a year's less energy!

For those who don't know, I'm 36. And in the words of Jessica Simpson, "36 is like mid-30's, and mid-30's is like 40" (or something like that!).

And after a minute or two of introspection, I find that at this stage of my life I'm very happy with many things. I have a beautiful wife, two gorgeous children, a great day job, and JUST enough energy left over to invest in a hobby that I really, really enjoy.

So is it wrong that I want more? Am I being greedy?

I sure hope not! Cause I do. I really, really do. I want to become a good writer. And I want to become a great story teller. I want people to read/watch my movies and be taken to a place where their imaginations can't help but take over and be captivated for 90+ minutes. Oh, and by the way, I'd be thrilled to get paid to do it!

UPDATE ON SCRIPT STUFF:

No news from the four other people who are currently reading "Like Brothers." I was just getting to a point where I was wondering when I should start following up, and then today I saw that Warren Leonard, over on his site, The Screenwriting Life, happened to be discussing what to do when you've handed off your script and your waiting for feedback. How timely is that!? Warren and his viewers always have great feedback, so I posed the question and have already gotten back great advice!

5 Comments:

  • Care to let us in on which conference you attended? I, for one, would like to attend one of the better conferences.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:28 AM  

  • Hey Eric,
    Thanks for the props. No, it's not me diving in the pic, but I loved the photo for it being on the spot of what I am doing right now in terms of getting my writing where it needs to be and to the right people.
    Cheers... and Happy Birthday!
    Scribe

    By Blogger Scribe LA, at 11:40 AM  

  • Anon,

    I attended the Willamette Writers Annual Conference in Portland, Oregon. It is a "writers" conference, so it was split pretty much 50/50 between literary and film. There were roughly 700 attendees, and lots and lots of execs, agents, managers, etc.

    The conference is a little spendy, especially after signing up for as many 1-on-1 pitch sessions as I could find ($15 a pop).

    The conference is in early August and is held right next to Portland International Airport.

    For more info check out www.willamettewriters.com as it gets closer to next August.

    For what it's worth, I heard a couple of the speaker/execs saying they specifically come to this show because it's a good one.

    That said...another commentor a few days ago said these types of conferences are mostly crap; praying on the hopes of aspiring writers and taking their hard earned money.

    By Blogger Eric Anderson, at 4:44 PM  

  • From what I've read so far it sounds like a good conference. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I hope the best for your new career! :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:53 PM  

  • Dear Anon,

    Just remember that my frame of reference is very limited. I've never attended any other conferences, and was pretty psyched just to be at this one, so I'm sure I'm not the best "unbiased" source of information!

    I've heard about another huge one down in California too, although the name escapes me, but I would imagine it would be hard not to feel like just a number there. I'd imagine they get thousands of attendees at that conference.

    And btw...don't thank "me" for my time! Thank YOU for taking the time to read my little blog. I wish us ALL luck in this crazy world of script writing!

    Cheers,
    Eric

    By Blogger Eric Anderson, at 10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home