// Living My Script Dream //

11.27.2007

It's About Time!


It really is about "time" you know. About time I got back on this blog. About time the WGA writers get what they deserve. About time the Andersons get a new car. And on and on.

I've been off the blog for almost two months and so much has happened.

In the next couple days I hope to find time to post about:

The Strike! (go WGA!)
Update on my writing.
Holiday travels.
Our new car, otherwise known as...the Lunchbox.
Changes at my work.

Let's start with The Strike.

So, as far as this whole writers' strike goes, I would consider myself an interested party with a slightly better than layman's knowledge of what is going on in Hollywood right now.

Essentially you have the AMPTP (The Association of Motion Picture and Television Producers) and you have the WGA (Writers Guild of America).

The crux of the argument is an outdated contract where WGA members do not receive residuals for their work on new types of media like online downloading and such. The studios claim there is no money generated by this type of downloading, but here is one of the best videos I've seen where their own words are used against them.



One aspect of the strike that isn't talked about much is the fact that the writer's contract is up first, then the director's and actor's contracts come up for renewal (next spring/summer, I think). So a lot rides on the unity across many facets in Hollywood and evidence can be seen in the picket line support by many actors, directors, and even showrunners (usually the executive producer of a TV show, usually a producer/writer whose duality creates a major conflict of interest).

www.unitedhollywood.com recently posted a great video with a lot of big name folks lending their support of the strike's effort. It's only 1:45 long and you'll recognize many faces. Good for all the people who have a lot to lose who have stepped in to show support for the writers!



So how does this effect me? Well, aside from watches reruns of shows that have had to halt production, it really doesn't. But it COULD effect me in a big way if I were to ever be lucky enough to sell a script and become a member of the WGA.

God only knows how many thousands of hours I have spent sitting at my laptop plunking away at my scripts. How many hours I have sacrificed sleep or time with my family, to continue molding a story that originated and gestated in MY BRAIN.

And if, by some miracle, I am able to sell a script, you can dang well bet I want every bit of residuals I can get under an updated WGA contract. Every kid that downloads "Like Brothers" onto his iPod or whatever technology exists...I want my FAIR share. My .08 or whatever small percentage we get! I just can't see how that isn't insanely fair.

For more information about the strike from WGA members closer to the fire than I, feel free to check out:

Hollywood United
The Artful Writer

There's rumors that the WGA and AMPTP are back at the table working again. Here's hoping the WGA gets a new contract! If not, stay strong strikers! I can't imagine the extent of your sacrifice, but one day I hope to thank you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home